8/10/10

Debra C: Day 4 - Old Mission Lighthouse

Vincent rests today, as I play another way... 10x22 Chalk Pastel


Chalk pastels offer so many colors and I decided to explore them in a new way.  As I set down my composition I decided to take on separate "shapes of distinction" and play with some laying down of colors by laying with hard pastels (Nu pastels) first, washing them into the Kitty Wallace Sanded Paper with water and a brush, then I moved into laying down a softer, Rembrandt pastel with a final touch of the soft, buttery Sennelier pastels (these are truly yummy!)   Today, I wore vinyl gloves as well, no more wearing off of my fingerprints.      So, now to train my eye to see "values", the shades and tints of each individual color - and to decide what to do with the "warmer hues" versus the "cooler hues."
   Question of the day:  "How will my cool green interact with my warm green & how will these interact with their neighboring colors?"
    I felt so serene today, the smoothness of the foreground waters seems to convey this feeling. I am glad to have explored a new way to express "plein air painting," I feel as though I was more confident and decisive in achieving good visual balance and a finely composed painting. Success!          

No comments:

Post a Comment